Week 2

During our second team meeting at the beginning of this week, we met a new team member - Liam! We also began work with our personal blogs, which you can follow by clicking on the intern photographs up above.

This week, we had new readings that were focused around understand the research questions, research methods, and the connection between the two. Empirical questions help us understand what the client needs and what the parameters of the project are. By asking the right questions & employing the proper evaluation method, we can better apply the research methodologies that could best help the client / product. Our last reading was focused around ethical concerns - how do we conduct research without leading the user to our preferred answer and without compromising the integrity of the research process.

In the first client meeting, we asked open-ended questions to provide us with qualitative understanding of the project parameters & quantitative information that could help us set definitive goals (i.e. the visitor attends for x more minutes). With the new information we learnt in week 2, we can take the next step to identifying the correct methodologies & questions to ask for User Research.

This week, we also spent some time learning Adobe XD in order to help jumpstart our prototyping and brainstorming process. By using the actual software, none of us have to jump through hoops to clarify our ideas.

In the meantime, check out Praxik social media to check out the team at NeoCon, an excellent event for the commercial design industry in Chicago.

Week 1

 

Week one was comprised of initial meetings, scheduling and research. Aside from brief online introductions, the team met each other for the first time and was introduced to the Praxik space. We all planned out calendars to ensure we had a collaborative meeting at least once a week, and planned out a few more meetings such as our initial client meeting as well as a meeting with an industry professional, after we discussed our goals and ambitions regarding this project and our future careers.

Each intern was assigned readings to better understand our client and UX research, noting possible keywords that could assist in future research. Many resources were assigned to all interns, as this knowledge was essential for us all to know, but a chunk of the readings was divided by the team, requiring each of us to take notes so we could later exchange this information.

After completing our research, we created and compiled methods and questions that would gather us the most relevant information regarding our project when we discussed the opportunity with the Science Museum of Minnesota on Monday, June 4.

During the client meeting, we met with Mark, the VP of the exhibits, Bryan, the Director of Media Design, and Elias, their graphic designer, to discuss the project in detail. We began by visiting the museum’s IMAX theatre to view an engineering film, giving us insight into the possibilities of ingenuity we could work into our project.

After the film, we toured the museum, viewing the paleo exhibit while speaking with the client about current positives and negatives of the atmosphere, and how we could help improve the space with AR. At the paleo exhibit, we met with Liza, the Project leader and Paleo expert to learn more specific information about the entire paleo exhibit.  Thanks to our questions we had previously prepared, we were able to gather all the information we needed to further research the project (and we got to interact with a few of the exhibits :).

Big thanks to Mark, Bryan, Elias, and Liza for all your help! We are SO excited to work with all of you!