Week 9

This week we made it over to the museum to conduct user testing. The goal was to gather data from enough users to indicate which features needed improvements. We were able to test out a functional version of Dino Finder for our iPad device but did not have enough time to have the iPhone attachment app fully functional. We surveyed a total of 8 families within an approximately 3 hour period. Most people were very excited to see the final product, and we're confident that they would use it again once fully implemented. We received a piece of feedback that some visitors wanted to bring home the AR experience with them after leaving the museum. It may be cool to implement something in the future where people are given a download code after experiencing it at the museum. This way, they can continue the experience at home. 

After user testing, Carson and I made refinements to both Dino Finder iPad (AR) and Dino Finder iPhone (Dino Code Collector) versions. From this point forward I worked with Shreyas to help him implement better on-screen instructions and gestures. Together, we began focusing on how to make the graphical content functional. I started by asking Charlie questions such as "can we make this work?" while Shreyas's questions looked at asking questions such as "does this work?" In this process, I've learned how important it is to develop a healthy relationship and line of communication between the designer and the developer. We both speak two very different languages so at times we can misunderstand each other even if we may be thinking the exact same thing. For someone like Shreyas who has been working under the role of a developer, I have learned to my surprise, that he is not a designer and does not work within the same framework as me. He has his own framework that guides his process as a developer using Swift. With this in mind, I have been trying to consume and listen to his thought process as much as possible before I go forward in asking questions about how to implement my vision. I've also played the role of the clueless user; when Shreyas begins using developer jargon, I always ask him to specify what he is saying to obtain a better understanding. While he may find something blatantly evident on his end, I may not always see it that way because I haven't used swift nor do I know much code yet. After numerous explanations and going back and forth, I began to understand the framework that Shreyas was using to communicate his thoughts with me. After only two or three days, our communication became so good that in many cases he didn't have to explain in depth how Xcode handled a design because I understood his framework.

In the future, I really look forward to pushing the dialogue between the designer and developer forward as I think that it has immense opportunity to flourish. This internship has given me the invaluable opportunity of recognizing the importance of the designer-developer relationship that I am not sure I would have received at any other UX internship (THANK YOU ANNA AND CHARLIE!!!).