Week 2 - Diving In

This week we learnt a lot more about research methods and how to take the information we learnt from the museum to create the plan for our project. We also spent time learning Adobe XD, a UX application that utilizes wireframing to outline the application. I'm excited to do this, because this will be my first dive into using UX software!

From the readings this week, I was interested to learn just how much of the UX process can actually be regimented. Having some experience in the design process from my engineering background, it was interesting to see how much deeper this single step in the design process was. It was also exciting to see just how vast it was and the different applications of this new field of study. Conversely, I was shocked to learn that you don't need hundreds of users to determine the changes that need to be made in a product. In biomedical engineering, you need at least 50+ subjects before the statistical value of your research can be taken seriously. So this was something I didn't expect, or at least didn't understand at first.

This week the team also spent time creating a timeline and organizing research questions that could help shape our prototype when we go back to asking the museum staff questions. Hopefully, we may even be able to ask questions to some museum visitors!

 

Week 1 - Uncharted Waters

In this first week, Anna introduced us to our team and some readings to help give us a jumpstart on AR and UX and how they could relate to our client: the Science Museum of Minnesota. I enjoy both subjects, and this first week opened my eyes a little more to their necessity in this tech-filled world.

We were provided with some readings for this first week, and earlier on Monday, we actually had our client meeting! Shockingly soon in my eyes, but we prepared well and it went beautifully, and I’m thankful for the time crunch as it ensured I absorbed as much information as I could. As a team, we had individualized readings to help familiarize ourselves with how AR applies to museums, and the theories behind UX research. We all collaborated to ask open-ended questions to the team we met, and had a productive meeting. The idea of AR guiding a user, rather than just being an informative experience, was new to me, and I found it quite exciting to have encountered a paradigm shift so soon in this internship.

Overall, this first week was a headfirst dive into uncharted waters, and Anna and the rest of the team made it a real pleasure. As a team I think we have a good dynamic with diverse backgrounds, and we’re going to come up with ideas that will make the Science Museum excited. Excited for Week 2!